Re: [whatwg] JavaScript dialogs blocking user experience

Darin Adler <darin@apple.com> writes:

>> On Apr 15, 2016, at 9:35 AM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:
>>
>> Clearly distinguishing between browser chrome and the current document
>> interface-wise can be helpful here. While it is incredibly easy to fool
>> people in general, browsers that automagically hide the address bar also
>> hide information about the state of the browser program. The browser
>> still has a state, but it forces the user to remember or deduce it.
>
> Which browsers automagically hide the address bar?

Old versions of Android scrolled the address bar with the content and I
found posts that said that “window.scrollTo(0, 1);” could hide the bar.

>> I think a good thing would be to keep browser applications' interfaces
>> stable and not change things for the sake of change with every upgrade.
>
> I believe we are talking about changes that are needed to improve clarity and security.
>
> This is a straw man. I can’t think of any browser that changes things
> “for the sake of change with every upgrade”.

I cannot think of one as well, but desktop environments often change
things around without changing actual functionality much – making it
harder for users to use the software. For example, GNOME removed the
traditional menubar in favor of a “miscellanous” menu bar, then changed
its icon from a gear into a “hamburger” icon (≡). And OS X 10.7 (Lion)
introduced a leather texture for iCal that as far as I know makes no
functional difference and removed it again in OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>