Re: [whatwg] VIDEO and pitchAdjustment

On 8/27/15, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 6:02 AM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
> wrote:

[...]

> But variable pitch control it would be useful for music adjustments
>> like "over the mountain",  "Black Star", "Take your Whiskey Home", all
>> originally recorded at half-step detuning (A=415), none of which match
>> "standard tuning" commonly used in schools, industry, etc. Recordings
>> of Baroque era music often use instruments tuned lower (and also
>> different scale temperment, but that is a different issue). So it
>> would be nice to adjust the pitch with a `pitchAdjustment` property,
>> as a double, to adjust pitch in cents.
>>

> I'd prefer to focus on making sure that Web Audio's Audio Workers are
> powerful enough for Web developers to implement this themselves.

I hear you, but I don't understand why.

To have control over audio pitch and playback rate, within a video,
with just a simple property, and without having to create a Worker,
would be very powerful for learning music.

Movie displays music notation or tablature, or a live performance. I
have used such.
The user can adjust the pitch, if necessary and change the speed, for learning.

We want to be able to adjust playbackRate and pitchAdjustment
independently. That might hypothetically be possible by directly
typing into the console, using user scripts, or bookmarklets. Online
music schools can build it into their HTML5 players (though today,
most of them still use the Flash player), for normal musicians (who
aren't using the console, etc).
--
Garrett
@xkit