Re: [whatwg] VIDEO and pitchAdjustment

https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/embedded-content.html#audiotrack

> It is unfortunately quite hard to get all browser vendors (or even
> one) interested in implementing support for something that is only
> expected to benefit a niche use case, but we should strive to make
> available the primitives that would it possible to implement yourself.

The situation where you want hear the audio at the desired pitch,
while simultaneously watching the video at the desired speed, to see
it performed, and to play along. It doesn't work well when trying to
play to a video example, such as playing an open G chord, and the
sound from the video does not match the sound from your own guitar.

What I can do now on websites that use VIDEO, such as YouTube, is
limited to using the web inspector (console). I click "inspect
element" to find the VIDEO element, then change its DOM properties for
playbackRate = .95 and mozPreservesPitch = false. That'll get
everything down a half-step (although at 95% speed).

For example, watch Andy James play "Harvester of Sorrow" but hear it
1/2 step down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYZjC_U1VJg

1) Right click on the video "Inspect Element"
2) Right click on the VIDEO in the HTML tab. Choose "Show DOM Properties"
3) set playbackRate: 0.95, mozPreservesPitch: 0

Ed Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jimi Hendrix, Zakk Wylde, to name a
few tune down 1/2 step. Others, Black Sabbath, Racer X, have tuned
down further.

A=440 (standard tuning) is much more common. When you want to learn
something played tuned down 1/2 step and your guitar is in standard
tuning, it is a problem. Constantly retuning the instrument is not
practical. Especially for guitars with locking nut systems or for
other instruments like piano. I don't know about learning horn parts.
Or you can buy multiple instruments and maintain different tunings for
them.

Fast passages, it's helpful to slow the speed down but keep the pitch
as original and in some cases, you want to slow the speed down and
adjust the pitch separately, so you can do things like learning Yngwie
Malmsteen songs while using a guitar in standard tuning.

I realize there's not much demand for it. But there seems to be
separation of playback pitch with `preservesPitch` and `playbackRate`.
It would be much better with a control to adjustm pitch, if it is not
too much work.

Thank you,
--
Garrett