Re: [whatwg] Case-sensitivity of CSS type selectors in HTML

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 11:23 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> (<font> too, but that's dropped from SVG2, so who cares.)

<textArea> is out too?

With respect to case-insensitive matching, I don't really understand
why we simultaneously want to make these rather trivial changes to SVG
while at the same time move to constructors for creating elements,
which is even stricter than createElementNS() (literal has to be
correctly spelled or you get an exception). If we want to move to a
world where people write

  new SVGRectElement

why would we even bother making

  document.createElement("RECT")

work?

Same for CSS, the majority of CSS already uses type selectors where
the case matches up with the HTML. Is complicating it really worth it?
We should bring the languages closer, but we shouldn't put the
mistakes we made with HTML into SVG.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/