Re: [whatwg] HTML6 single-page apps without Javascript proposal now on Github

Hello!

By way of introduction, I'm an author who reads some of these mailing lists but (almost) never replies.

This proposal is quite interesting, wanted to throw in my two cents as well:

1. Would you consider writing a polyfill/Javascript framework for this?
It seems to me that the fundamentals of the proposal could be fairly
simply written into a small Javascript polyfill by intercepting a[mref]
clicks and filling up <template>s. A working polyfill would give
people a chance to play around with the proposal, give you (and others
who like the idea) a working implementation of it in case it doesn't
become a standard, and provide an otherwise-necessary polyfill for older
 browsers if it does become a standard.

2. You've mentioned before that this would be more useful for beginners
(who only know HTML, not Javascript), but I don't necessarily agree.
With this proposal you would need to explain how the browser downloads
"JSON data" from the mref attribute's location, then somehow parses into
 a model, and then fills up and displays a template (making what the
page is actually showing extremely different from what they write in
their editor, not exactly intuitive). IMO the biggest hurdle for a
beginner to get over would be conceptually understanding the models and
templates, which HTML's declarative nature seems to make more difficult
to understand. I would prefer having a Javascript library where the user
 could write something along the lines of "link.onclick =
fillTemplate(loadData())", making what's actually happening when a user
clicks a link much clearer. The person would still need to understand
some Javascript, but not much more than what's necessary for the model
attributes in your proposal currently.

I'm also curious as to how many beginners would *want* to do a SPA with
templates and models like this, I would imagine that by the time you
have a real need to load data from a backend API into models and
templates without reloading the page that you'd have a workable
understanding of Javascript enough to use an existing MVC framework of
your choice.

Thanks,

Matthew Sotoudeh