Re: [whatwg] Canvas image to blob/dataurl within Worker

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 11:02 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 1:44 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
>> wrote:

>> has
>> >>

>> > One of the advantages of having a native async toBlob API is that the
>> > browser can asynchronously read back from GPU memory (when the graphics
>> API
>> > permits this --- D3D11 does, at least). Gecko currently doesn't take
>> > advantage of this, however.
>> >

>> You would need a copy in GPU memory first to do the async readback on.
>>

> Not necessarily.
>

>> There are many scenarios (ie fullscreen hidi canvas) where this might fill
>> the GPU's memory.
>>

> Unlikely in practice.

Hopefully Justing can chime in on this. Google maps in particular taxes the
GPU a lot.
If Chrome has to reserve enough space for another backbuffer, this will
certainly make rendering of complex scenes slower.