Re: [whatwg] Canvas image to blob/dataurl within Worker

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 1:44 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Justin is worried that in order to make this asynchronous, Chrome has to
> >> create a snapshot of the canvas bits which is slow if it resides on the
> >> GPU.
> >> Of course, his workaround to use getImageData is just as slow since it
> has
> >> to do the same operation.
> >>

> > One of the advantages of having a native async toBlob API is that the
> > browser can asynchronously read back from GPU memory (when the graphics
> API
> > permits this --- D3D11 does, at least). Gecko currently doesn't take
> > advantage of this, however.
> >

> You would need a copy in GPU memory first to do the async readback on.

Not necessarily.

> There are many scenarios (ie fullscreen hidi canvas) where this might fill
> the GPU's memory.

Unlikely in practice.

> To alleviate this, I have 2 proposals:
> >> - After calling toBlob, the canvas is read-only until the promise is
> >> fulfilled
> >> - If the user changes the canvas after calling toBlob, the promise is
> >> cancelled.
> >>
> >> Maybe we should only allow 1 outstanding toBlob per canvas element too.
> >>

> > I don't think we should impose any of these restrictions. They're not
> > necessary.
> >

> How else would you avoid making a copy?

It depends on lots of variables, but there are certainly scenarios when you
can do async readback without making a copy.

Even if you have to make a copy in GPU memory, that's not a big problem
most of the time, not compared to doing a synchronous readback.

Rob
owohooo
oioso
owohooo