Re: [whatwg] Standardizing autocapitalize

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, at 21:44, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> I think I'd prefer to define "on" and "off" as defined values unless
>> there is very little usage of them. We can certainly mark them as
>> deprecated, but unless their usage is negligible, it seems better to
>> document their behavior than to try to change all existing content not
>> to use it.
>>
>> Especially since it'll also make the .autocapitalize JS property
>> behave less surprising "on"/"off" is used.
>
> "off" is defined. The "Non-conforming" note means that the attribute
> reflection will behave like this:
> ```js
> input.autocapitalize = 'off';
> input.autocapitalize === 'none'; // true
> ```

Right. My point is that this is unnecessarily confusing. Just like

input.autocapitalize = 'on';
input.autocapitalize === 'sentences'; // true

is unnecessarily confusing.

Just like leaving mention of "on" out of documentation and specs would
be confusing for authors that are looking at other people's code and
learning from it (which is one of the great powers of the web
platform).

/ Jonas