Re: [whatwg] Standardizing autocapitalize

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr> wrote:
> (bcc: public-webapps@)
>
> Hi,
>
> I would like to standardize the Apple's proprietary autocapitalize
> attribute. This attribute is widely used and it would probably benefit
> the platform to have a broader support for it. The implementation cost
> should be fairly low while it can be very beneficial for the user
> experience with the keyboard on Mobile.
>
> I wrote a small proposal document based on Apple's document and live
> tests on latest Safari mobile:
> https://github.com/mounirlamouri/html-autocapitalize/blob/master/proposal.md
>
> I would be really interested to hear from other vendors, particularly if
> they would be interested to implement it.
> In addition, if Apple has some feedback about the proposal, it would be
> very valuable.

I think I'd prefer to define "on" and "off" as defined values unless
there is very little usage of them. We can certainly mark them as
deprecated, but unless their usage is negligible, it seems better to
document their behavior than to try to change all existing content not
to use it.

Especially since it'll also make the .autocapitalize JS property
behave less surprising "on"/"off" is used.

/ Jonas