Re: [whatwg] Site-Wide Heading Element

>>> On Jun 23, 2015, at 22:57, Mark Simon <mark@manngo.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Presumably, the correct element is h1 for the banner heading, but this
>>> may be at odds with the notion that h1 should describe the specific
>>> page.
>>> The banner title would be expected to be the same for most, if not all,
>>> pages, while the h1 might be expected to be different for each page.
>>>
>>>While we should not pay too much heed to the whims of search engines,
>>>there is the notion that varying the h1 in pages is good for SEO. For
>>>this reason many site owners and developers are reluctant to use the main
>>>h1 as a banner title.
>>>
>>>As far as I am aware, there is no suitable HTML(5) element for a
>>>site-wide heading. I would like to see the introduction of such an
>>>element. Here are some suggestions:
>>>
>>>* The purpose of the element is to provide a semantically appropriate
>>>container for a site-wide title.
>>>*  From a behavioural point of view, it would be similar to an h1
>>>element. That is, a block element with mostly text.
>>>* There would be no other special default appearance, much like a
>>>paragraph. CSS can handle the rest.
>>>* There should only be one such element on a page, in the body
>>>element. It may be nested inside another suitable element, such as a
>>>header.
>>>
>>On  Jun 24, 2015, at 7:08, Jonathan Zuckerman <j.zuckerman@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>> What would be the value of such an element? There is an aria-role for
>> "banner" I believe..
>>
>On Jun 24, 2015, at 5:03, Mark Simon <mark@manngo.net> wrote:
>
>There is also an aria-role for “article” but this doesn’t invalidate
>HTML5’s article element. Section 1.4 makes it clear that it is
>preferable for the host language to do the job itself.
>
>In any case, the “banner” role would be more suited to something like a
>div, which is what the header element is doing. The proposed element
>would be more like h1.
>
>How about h0? That would be more in the pattern of things.

When I build a website that is to have more than one page, and I want the
"banner" to be the same across all pages,  I use the <header> element with a
javascript file embedded inside, like this:

<header id="banner">
    <script src="scripts/header.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
</header>

and the javascript file looks like this:

document.write('\
    <hgroup class="myHeader">\
        <h1>The Site Name</h1>\
        <h2>Site Tagline</h2>\
    </hgroup>\
');

This way the <h1> element is still free to use as the main body heading in
the document itself.

The default aria- role for the <header> element is <header role="banner">,
so you
do not need to set it.

Thank You,
Barry Smith