Re: [whatwg] support for named colors in <input type=color> (was Re: Icon mask and theme color)

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 10:35 AM, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com> wrote:
>>> On the other hand, <link rel=mask-icon color=darkslategray> seems
>>> like it should Just Work™.
>>
>> I guess we could add support for named colors to <input type=color>
>> too.
>
> Offhand I think that's a good idea. Probably won't round-trip through
> typical color picker implementations, but that doesn't seem like much of
> a problem to me.
>
> What do others think?

Just hex, or all CSS colors.  No sense going halfway here.  As you
note, they won't roundtrip, but if we're okay with that, then allowing
hsl() makes exactly as much sense as allowing "cornflowerblue".

~TJ