Re: [whatwg] Icon mask and theme color

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> writes:

> […]
>
> Where do we go from here:
> (1) We could add "mask" or something like it to the standard, and change browsers to ignore mask icons in contexts where they are looking for a regular icon.
>
> (2) We could change to a new rel type for mask icons, such as rel=mask-icon, but keep theme-color as the source of the color, with the possibility of darkening light colors used to make light colors viable.
>
> (3) We could change to a new rel type for mask icons, such as rel=mask-icon, and give it a color attribute to be used specifically for the icon.
>

> We don’t have a strong principle on this, and it’s not too late to change before shipping the release version of Safari 9. We welcome input on which of these would be best, or whether something else entirely is better.

(4) Set a MIME type like application/vnd.apple.svg-mask+xml. This might
prevent breakage in other browsers and allow opt-in without introducing
new attributes. The source of the theme color could then be in the file
or in the theme color meta value.

(5) Use the shape of the path in the SVG icon as a mask and retain the
theme color meta value. Why isn't this done? One could have a properly
colored icon for one purpose and use the outline of the same icon for
the flat design staff.

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>