Re: [whatwg] Recorder audio and save to server

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 11:40 PM, Ashley Gullen <ashley@scirra.com> wrote:

> I've brought this up on other lists, but I think it's worth bringing up
> again here: it's a significant limitation in MediaRecorder that it can only
> work in real-time. If a user has a pre-recorded WAV file which is one hour
> long and they want to upload that or encode it to a different format,
> MediaRecorder requires that the encoding happen in real-time. So the user
> has to sit there and wait for an hour when it could be seconds to minutes
> if it could work faster. So I think there are still important use cases for
> uploading audio that MediaRecorder doesn't cover.
>
> My preferred solution would be to allow MediaRecorder to accept an
> AudioBuffer instead of a MediaStream, and in this case allow it to encode
> as fast as possible.

In Gecko, MediaRecorder has a constructor that accepts an AudioNode. This
AudioNode can belong to an OfflineAudioContext, which solves your use-case.
This extension was proposed and accepted on public-media-capture though the
spec hasn't been updated yet.

Rob
owohooo
oioso