Re: [whatwg] Modify the Page Visibility spec to let UA's take into account whether iframes are visible on the screen

On 2015-03-31 23:17, Felix Miata wrote:
> Roger Hågensen composed on 2015-03-31 21:09 (UTC+0200):
>
>>> ... For Mozilla browsers, you
>>> can go to about:config and set media.autoplay.enabled to “false”. Also,
>>> the NoScript browser extension can make media click-to-play by default.
>> I hardly think a lot of users want to follow directions like that.
>> As a programmer/content designer it would make more sense to do so using
>> either attributes or javascript instead of bothering the user.
> Turning off autoplay is a one time thing, not a big deal like the constant
> disrespect of sites disregarding instead of embracing user needs.
> I have a hard time seeing rationality in any option other than click-to-play.
> *My* PC is a tool. *I* should be the one to decide if and when to play, and
> if or when to stop or pause.

What are you suggesting exactly? That all iframes should be click to show?
Are you talking about iframe visibility and autopause or autounload?

If you are veering off topic then if possible please start a new thread
(new subject) in that case.

I'll assume you are talking about autopause for a video tag.
As a user you open another tab, the video pauses at once (since the
autopause attribute is set) since it's no longer visible.
Now if you go back to it and click play and then tab away again then you
have manually overridden the autopause.
There might also be a autopause option on the video UI someplace.

My suggestion was for a autopause for iframes, I only noted that it
might be of use to video and audio tags as well but I did not really
outline how hey should behave as this topic is about iframes rather than
video and audio.
Starting a new thread to discuss autopause and autounload or video and
audio is preferred as that will require more UI discussion than iframes
(which has no UI).

--
Roger Hågensen, Freelancer, http://skuldwyrm.no/