Re: [whatwg] Adding a property to navigator for getting device model

Hi,

As a contributor to the (incubating) Apache DeviceMap project,
UA-strings are pretty 'dear' to me.

While I would agree there is no immediate need for new or extra
structures; the vendors just applying the existing 'standards' and not
abusing the UA-string for 'marketing' purposes, would go a long way.

An ideal UA-string would, as Silvia Pfeiffer pointed out, contain :
OS, Browser and Rending Engine, with version numbers. In the case of a
'device' [a pretty fluid concept] a deviceId [hopefully related to an
UAProfile] should also be present.

It seems to me that thanks to HTML 5 and all the nifty frameworks
out-there most 'device detecting' these days is mainly for the purpose
of analyses and I think this is the main reason for Marketing Man to
get involved and fiddle with the "truthiness" of the UA-string and
sometimes even values reported by the navigator object itself.

If there's anything upsetting us UA-stringers it's the cavalier
attitude towards the existing 'standards'.

My 2c.

eberhard speer jr.

PS : Please send me ua-strings...