Re: [whatwg] Adding a property to navigator for getting device model

On Sep 24, 2014 3:40 AM, "James Graham" <james@hoppipolla.co.uk> wrote:

> On 24/09/14 02:54, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
> > In the meantime, I'd like to add a property to window.navigator to
> > enable websites to get the same information from there as is already
> > available in the UA string. That would at least help with the parsing
> > problem.
> >
> > And if means that we could more quickly move the device model out of
> > the UA string, then it also helps with the UA-string keying thing.
>
> It's not entirely clear this won't just leave us with the device string
> in two places, and unable to remove either of them. Do we have any
> evidence that the sites using UA detection will all change their code in
> relatively short order, or become unimportant enough that we are able to
> break them?

If we do, is that any worse than having the string in one place? If we are
stuck with having this information exposed to the web (which currently is
looking more likely than not), then I'd rather that authors had an easy
time doing so.

/ Jonas