Re: [whatwg] allow <link> in body + DOM position as a rendering hint

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 02:10:13 +0200, Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> The spec currently allows <style scroped>@import "other.css";</style> in
>> body (at least at the start of an element). I don't know if it has the
>> properties you want in existing impls. I also don't know if scoped is
>> OK or
>> not for your use case.
>

> Deprecated in Blink:
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/blink-dev/R1x18ZLS5qQ/Bjuh_cENhlQJ

Why is that relevant? IIUC it is expected to be implemented again later.

> Note that we're not looking for "scoped" semantics here either... adding
> that adds a lot of other complexities and baggage.

OK. Can you elaborate? Does it limit something you want to do?

A bare <link> or <style> in body means that you have to re-evaluate
previous elements. With scoped you don't have to do that. IIRC this was
the main reason for the current authoring requirements in the spec.

If <style> doesn't have the properties that we want from existing impls
but we think that restricting authors to only using scoped stylesheets in
body is a good idea, we could add the scoped attribute to <link> and allow
<link scoped> in body.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software