Re: [whatwg] Expose XMLHttpRequest [Fetch?] priority

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Chad Austin <caustin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Before designing a browser API, a few questions must be answered:
>
> 1) Should the priority API support legacy HTTP and SPDY?
> 2) Should the priority API support future protocols beyond HTTP 2?
> 3) How likely is it future protocols will support non-dependency-based
> priority models.
> 3) How much work should be placed on application developers?  aka how
> closely should the API fit the application domain?
>
> IMO, the answers to the above questions are "yes", "yes", and "possible",
> and "better for the API to fit the application domain than for the API to
> reflect one possible underlying protocol so that a truer implementation in
> non-HTTP-2 protocols is possible".

Your answers lack justification. Is there any reason to believe SPDY
will remain supported in user agents? Is there any point in supporting
prioritization in HTTP/1.1 when it's by-and-large not the protocol you
want to use anyway if you care about performance?

> Should I write a document with a formal API proposal including rationale or
> is this thread sufficient?

I don't really think we've reached that stage yet. Best to first
figure out what we want and why before making any proposals.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/