Re: [whatwg] Controlling the User-Agent header from script

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 6:53 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> Per XMLHttpRequest User-Agent has been off limits for script. Should
> we keep it that way for fetch()? Would it be harmful to allow it to be
> omitted?
>
> https://github.com/slightlyoff/ServiceWorker/issues/399
>
> A possible attack I can think of would be an firewall situation that
> uses the User-Agent header as authentication check for certain
> resources.

We'd definitely need to treat the header as a content-set header from
a CORS perspective. Otherwise we'd have problems not just with pages
behind firewalls, but also websites that use cookies for
authentication. I.e. most websites.

I still have some concerns about this. Though I can't think of any
problems off the top of my head. I suspect we'll want to run this past
our security team to make sure we're not missing anything.

FWIW, I don't think there's any difference between XHR and fetch(). If
we enable this for fetch(), I don't see a reason not to enable it for
XHR as well since it should mainly involve removing "User-Agent" from
some internal blacklist in the code.

/ Jonas