Re: [whatwg] Notifications and service workers

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Andrew Wilson <atwilson@google.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 4:42 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> >>
> >> Another thing we could do here is to simply not address this use case.
> >> Does gmail for android do the same thing? I wasn't able to reproduce
> >> it though I might have done something wrong.
> >>
> > AFAICT, no - gmail for android doesn't use web notifications. In
> > general the mobile versions of gmail are kind of bare-boned fallbacks
> > in favor of the native apps.
>
> Actually, my question was in regards to the "native" gmail app. Not
> web content of any sort.

Ah, sorry, didn't understand. From what I can tell, gmail on android
aggregates multiple messages into a single notification (like the "list"
notification type you suggested). I'm assuming this is done by gmail itself
and not the OS, but my Android-fu is a bit limited so I'm not positive.

I note that the native gmail app does different things depending on what
type of notification is visible. If there's just one new email in the
notification, the notification lets you archive/reply to the email right
from the notification, and just clicking the notification brings up the
email in the native app. If there are more than one email in the
notification ("list" notification) then there are no extra UI options, and
clicking the notification just launches the app and brings up your inbox.