Re: [whatwg] [url] Feedback from TPAC

On Nov 4, 2014, at 15:09 , Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On 11/04/2014 09:55 AM, David Singer wrote:
>> I am pretty puzzled why the base URL <stuff://www.app.com/a/b/> composed with the URL <banana> results not in
>>
>> stuff://www.app.com/a/b/banana
>>
>> but
>>
>> stuff:///banana
>>
>> Is this a bug or feature of the spec., or a bug in this implementation?
>
> Please refresh.  I've changed the implementation to match the spec. Spoiler alert: the results returned now don't match either of the values you mention above.

banana

really not good.

> Either of those results would be a bug in the implementation. Per the
> specification

proposal;  the existing specification is the RFC

> and dominant URL implementations

at the moment I am more interested in understanding what the best behavior might be than majority voting

> only a limited set of
> schemes support relative URLs.

Not good.  I mean, this means that we would have to change the base generic spec. whenever a new scheme comes along for which relative references make sense.  RFC 3986 is clear that relative references are a general feature.  I am obviously not understanding why it might be desirable to be so future-fragile here.  (Particularly since I am thinking of defining exactly such a scheme).