Re: [whatwg] HTTP status code from JavaScript

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 7:48 AM, Michael Heuberger <
michael.heuberger@binarykitchen.com> wrote:

> Hi Tobie
>
> >> * It is a redundancy. The browser already knows the status code, just
> >> not JavaScript.
> > That argument can equally well be used the other way round: it's a
> > redundancy to expose in JS something that be easily exposed by the
> > server.
>
> I understand your perspective but you cannot compare two entirely
> different things. Don't forget that most modern web apps are 99% driven
> by JavaScript. If the server returns a 404, JavaScript is still unable
> to read the initial HTTP status code. Think about it :)

The web server sends you back a response. It first sends the response code,
then the response headers, then the response body.

If you can alter the response code from the server, why can't you alter the
response body?

> >> * Adding inline JS <script> slows down the page load.
> > In that case, use a meta tag:

> > Then in JS:
> >
> > var status =
> parseInt(document.querySelector("meta[name=http-status]").getAttribute("content"));
> >
> > Should this pattern become pervasive, it might bathe sense to
> > standardize it and expose it in JS. Frankly, though, it's the first
> > time I hear of such a request.
>
> That would work but is an overhead, a redundancy. Why add another meta
> tag if the status code is already in the HTTP header??
>
> Yes, it's interesting why nobody has suggested this before. There is
> always a first time. Probably I am the first to ask for this feature
> because I've been working heavily with SPA's and node.js in the recent
> years.
>
> Really, it would be awesome if JavaScript could read the HTTP status code!

Yes, ideally the initial request to the server would be accessible to the
script, including the response code, response headers, and so on
(document.initialRequest returns an XMLHttpRequest-like object that's
already completed?)

At the same time, in order to deploy to sites without this feature, you'd
need to be able to modify the response body accordingly as well. I think it
makes sense to simply do that too.

What server are you using here? Does it have a way of configuring it to
modify the response codes for certain requests, but not the response body?

--
  Jasper