Re: [whatwg] Move contentEditable/isContentEditable from HTMLElement to Element?

On Tue, 13 May 2014, Dirk Schulze wrote:

> contentEditable can be fairly useful in SVG as well. It partly works for
> inline SVG content in web browsers today.
>
> The question is, should SVGElement add support for
> contentEditable/isContentEditable and add it to its interface? Or should
> both attributes move to the Element interface instead?

I would be very careful about moving global attributes to Element. Doing
so implies that we are adding them to _all_ XML namespaces. That's a huge
change to propose. Even with "class" it's IMHO going a bit far (we're
saying that the semantics of <myvocab:teacher class="..."/> are that it's
a space-separate list of CSS class names, even if the vocab designer
intended it to be a room name or whatever).

I would feel more comfortable putting things on SVG, MathML, and HTML
explicitly.

BTW, if anyone wants to move contenteditable="" to another spec, my
suggestion would be that the place to move it to is the HTML Editing APIs
spec, which could be renamed Web Editing APIs. There's precedent for
having hooks for attributes like that, e.g. ARIA.