Re: [whatwg] WebGL and ImageBitmaps

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 16:47:25 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> Given that the user's device could be a very low-power device, or one with
> a very small screen, but the user might still want to be manipulating very
> large images, it might be best to do the "master" manipulation on the
> server anyway.

If I have a photo library with thousands of images, I don't want to upload
each image--possibly megabytes each--to the server in order to manipulate
it.

Also, doing the work on the user's system scales to lots of users more
sensibly than doing manipulations of large images on a server.

I'm assuming you're referring to the case where if you try to draw a
> subpart of an image and for some reason it has to be sampled (e.g. you're
> drawing it larger than the source), the anti-aliasing is optimised for
> tiling and so you get "leakage" from the next sprite over.
>
> If so, the solution is just to separate the sprites by a pixel of
> transparent black, no?

If you're downscaling by more than 2:1, you need to put more than one pixel
between the images, which means you have to author sprite sheets
differently depending on how far down you need to zoom.  A drawing flag
makes a lot more sense.

 --
Glenn Maynard