Re: [whatwg] addPath and CanvasPathMethods

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Justin Novosad <junov@google.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the confusion, the point I was trying to make was unrelated to
> the CTM question (almost). My point is that the tessellation of a path is
> something that can be cached in a Path2D object.

Path2D does not contain the winding or a hint that it will be used for
fill/clip or stroking. I'm unsure if it gives you enough information to
cache tessellation before you call a marking operation.

> If you do this, you can take advantage of the cached tessellation:
> (apply tranform 1 to ctx)
> ctx.fill(path1)
> (apply tranform 2 to ctx)
> ctx.fill(path2)
>
> If you do it this way, the aggregated path needs to be re-tesselated each
> time because the winding rule would need to be re-applied:
> (apply tranform 1 to ctx)
> ctx.addPath(path1)
> (apply tranform 2 to ctx)
> ctx.addPath(path2)
> ctx.fill();
>
> Technically, these two ways of drawing are not equivalent (depends on
> compositing mode, transparency, and winding rule, overlaps between paths),
> but they can be used to achieve similar things.  Nonetheless the second way
> is detrimental to performance, and we'd be encouraging it by providing an
> addPath method on the context.  Besides, if the dev really needs to add
> paths together, it can be done inside an intermediate path object.

How would using intermediate path objects not be detrimental to performance?

I do not like the addPath method myself, but if it's offered on Path2D,
it's reasonable to have it on the context.
I was experimenting porting canvg to use the Path2D object and the
implementation would be much cleaner if there was a way to set the path in
the graphics state.