From: whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org [mailto:whatwg-bounces@lists.whatwg.org] On Behalf Of Nils Dagsson Moskopp
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2014 1:25 AM
To: Jonathan Watt; whatwg
Subject: Re: [whatwg] <input type=number> for year input

Jonathan Watt <jwatt@jwatt.org> writes:

> is it wrong to use <input type=number> for year input.

I am certainly not an expert on the topic, but I believe the conceptual problem can be reduced to using an input designed for a group (in the mathematical sensce) to represent a value that is torsor.

Quote <http://ro-che.info/articles/2013-01-08-torsors.html>:

> While adding two dates is not possible, it is possible to add a time
> interval to a date («five days from today»). This suggests that we
> should not confound dates and time intervals — they are different
> types of values.

Therefore asking for a duration using <input type=number> is fine – asking for a calendar year, however, is obviously a type error.

<http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/torsors.html>

--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp // erlehmann
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>