Re: [whatwg] SVG cloning elements from HTML5

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:48:38 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 6:35 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> (The current proposal would place all the direct HTML children of SVG
>>> elements on top of each other, similar to abspos, but grandchildren
>>> would render normally, in a CSS layout model.)
>>
>> Isn't content outside of <svg> clipped though?
>
> Ugh, yeah, <svg> is overflow:hidden by default.

True, and changing that would likely break some svg content.

It would be interesting to investigate if it's possible to change so that
inline <svg> defaults to 'overflow:visible'. All current browsers properly
handle 'overflow:visible' on inline <svg> elements, and last I checked
MSIE had 'overflow:visibile' as the default for inline <svg> elements.

> How many of these crazy sites were there? I'd hate to flounder on such
> an important change due to just a handful of idiotically-authored
> sites.  Better integration of HTML and SVG (and blocking any further
> element copying beyond the four existing elements) is really
> important.

+1.

--
Erik Dahlstrom, Web Technology Developer, Opera Software
Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group