Re: [whatwg] `brand-color` meta extension

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> This feature has been developed in the past under multiple proprietary
> names, such as "mapplication-navbutton-color" for Internet Explorer
> and "apple-mobile-web-app-status-bar-style" for Mobile Safari.
> Authors MUST NOT use the proprietary variants of this meta extension.
> User agents that support proprietary variants of this meta extension
> must, if "brand-color" is specified, use "brand-color" for these
> purposes, and ignore any proprietary variants.

In another thread, Hixie asks why we don't just standardize these
proprietary variants.  I think "because they're horridly named" is a
sufficient answer, but there's a weaker proposal inside of that which
I think is potentially valid: should we define that
"msapplication-navbutton-color" and
"apple-mobile-web-app-status-bar-style" are required-support variants?

This requires a bit of additional parsing work, but it's not a big deal:

* "msapplication-navbutton-color" only allows named and hex colors.
* "apple-mobile-web-app-status-bar-style" appears to accept the values
"default", "black", and "black-translucent", which we can define as
meaning, respectively, that the page has no brand color, that the
brand color is black, or that the brand color is rgba(0,0,0,.5)
(spitballing here, if someone can provide the real alpha that would be
great).

~TJ