Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Inline pronounce element (Tab Atkins Jr.)

On Fri, 06 Jun 2014 14:22:48 +0200, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2014, at 22:08, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp
>> <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:

>>> Is there any reason one cannot use the <ruby> element for
>>> pronunciation?
>>>
>>> Example:

>>> </rp></ruby>
>>
>> That's adequate for visually providing the pronunciation, but I think
>> the original request was for a way to tell screen readers and similar
>> tools how to pronounce an unfamiliar word.
>
> True, but one could still use <ruby> for its semantics, and visually use
> the CSS to hide the pronunciations:
>
>   rp, rt, rtc { display: none; }

In general screen readers respect HTML. If you use display:none they will
not render that content. So please do not do that.

Besides, the information is normally useful to people who can see it too -
or who can partially see it.

> Screen readers may have supported reading text in <rt> instead of its
> base text when they supported Japanese. At least some screen readers in
> Japan does this.

The common use case for Ruby in both chinese and japanese, as far as I
understand, is to provide pronunciation. I don't see why that would be
inappropriate in general.

The last thing I saw in Wikipedia was "Ray and Maria Stata Center
(/steɪtə/ stay-ta)". This seems like a pretty clear use case for ruby to
me.

There is also the "Pronunciation Lexicon Specification" which is a W3C
Recommendation, but it would take some effort to get that into browsers,
and the browser world seems to find XML too difficult these days so it may
need to be re-done in another format.

Of course syntax is trivial - you could rebuild it as microdata, or RDFa,
or something. The trick is getting people to agree on something they will
implement. I don't recommend microdata because you can't mix vocabularies,
and you may want to have e.g. schema.org data and pronunciation
information for the same content. But