Re: [whatwg] Drawing shapes on canvas

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Joe Gregorio <jcgregorio@google.com>wrote:
>
>> Rik,
>>   From the Skia perspective we have the following feedback on the
>> proposal.
>>

> Thanks for your feedback!
>

>>   While we can see how Shape2D can be implemented, it isn't clear that
>> it's
>>   such a large performance benefit over what Path provides, so we aren't
>>   opposed to Shape2D, but don't believe implementing Path should be held
>> up
>>   for the sake of Shape2D.  Path itself is a huge win for performance over
>>   having only a single current default path and has utility without the
>> need
>>   for Shape2D.
>>

> I agree.
> Maybe it's OK to have a staged approach where we introduce the concept of
> Path first and possible add shapes later.
>

>>   In general we would like to see a layered approach to drawing objects,
>>   starting with something primitive like Path, and at the most general a
>>   Display List[1] that contains the full set of capabilities of
>>   CanvasRenderingContext2D.  That layering could be done in two or three
>>   objects, either [Path, DisplayList] or [Path, Shape2D, DisplayList]. In
>> all
>>   cases you can use the lower level objects to construct higher level
>> objects,
>>   i.e. use one or more Paths to build a Shape2D, and use Paths and
>> Shape2Ds
>>   define a DisplayList.
>>

> That is an interesting concept. Do you have a more detailed proposal or a
> prototype in the works?

My tentative plan for this quarter includes prototyping to inform a
proposal.

> [...]
>> the
>>        CanvasRenderingContext2D.
>>     3. If Shape2D moves forward do it by adding different versions of
>> fill,
>>        clip, etc to CanvasRenderingContext2D, such as:
>>
>>        void fill(optional CanvasFillRule fillRule = "nonzero");
>>        void fill(Path path, optional CanvasFillRule fillRule = "nonzero");
>>        void fill(Shape2D shape);
>>
>>     4. Possibly work on a DisplayList design, but only after some
>>        experimentation.
>>
>>   We have some particular feedback on the Shape2D design that is inline
>> below:
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_list
>>
>> > All,
>> >
>> > around a year ago, I wrote a blog post [1] that introduced a new 'Shape'
>> > class that described a filled or stroked region or an area of text.
>> Java2D
>> > has a similar concept that they call 'Area' [2].
>> >
>> > We've had some discussions but it doesn't look like there was any sort
>> of
>> > conclusion. I'd like to pick it back up now that we have a partial
>> > implementation of the Path object and people are starting to look into
>> > extending it.
>> >
>> > I'll reiterate my proposal:
>> > 1. remove all the addxxx methods from the Path2D object [3]
>> > Path object are just containers for segments. Aggregating segments will
>> > generally not give the desired results since the segments will interact
>> > (see [1]).
>> > AddPath *could* be kept if people see a strong use case.
>>
>> The add* methods could be simplified to:
>>
>>   void addPath(Path path, SVGMatrix? transformation);
>>   void addPathByStrokingPath(Path path, CanvasDrawingStyles styles,
>> SVGMatrix? transformation);
>>   void addText(DOMString text, CanvasDrawingStyles styles, SVGMatrix?
>> transformation, unrestricted double x, unrestricted double y, optional
>> unrestricted double maxWidth);
>>   void addTextAlongPath(DOMString text, CanvasDrawingStyles styles,
>> SVGMatrix? transformation, Path path, optional unrestricted double
>> maxWidth);
>>
>> The functionality of the addPathByStrokingText methods below can be done
>> by
>> applying the above methods.
>>
>>   void addPathByStrokingText(DOMString text, CanvasDrawingStyles styles,
>> SVGMatrix? transformation, unrestricted double x, unrestricted double y,
>> optional unrestricted double maxWidth);
>>   void addPathByStrokingText(DOMString text, CanvasDrawingStyles styles,
>> SVGMatrix? transformation, Path path, optional unrestricted double
>> maxWidth);
>>

> My issue with this add* methods is that they likely will not do what an
> author expects since the path segments will interact in unexpected ways.
> In addition, I think no browser follows the spec for "tracing a path" [1].
> Since paths will interact with the segments that that algorithm generates,
> we will get into interoperability issues.

Agreed on the complexity and the interactions. Unfortunately dropping all
of them but addPath does seem to leave
Path with a hole in functionality since CanvasRenderingContext2D has both a
fillText() and strokeText(). How about simplifying
to just these two add* methods:

  void addPath(Path path, SVGMatrix? transformation);
  void addText(DOMString text, SVGMatrix? transformation, unrestricted
double x, unrestricted double y, optional unrestricted double maxWidth);

Note the removal of the CanvasDrawingStyles from addText.