Re: [whatwg] hit regions: limited set of elements for fallback content

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> So far, it seems like to support grids in canvas, we need:
>
>  - enable table-related elements (table, td, tfoot, etc) to be hit region
>    controls. (exclude col and colgroup)
>  - fire an event on an element when the user agent (possibly because of a
>    request from the AT, but not necessarily) wants to scroll to an
>    element; default action is to actually scroll.
>  - when this event is fired on a canvas, include the region information.
>
> ...and to support list boxes, we need:
>
>  - enable <select multiple> elements to be hit region controls.
>  - enable <select size=N> eements where N>1 to be hit region controls.
>  - enable <option> to be hit region controls.
>  - optionally, if implementors are on board:
>     - make <select size=1> in <canvas> act like size=N where N>1.
>     - enable <select size=1> elements to be hit region controls.

This all sounds great.

Are there any other use cases we should address?

Possibly, but this is a great start for now. I'll post more use cases as I
uncover them or think of them.

> What's your take on the <select> thing; should we have a special case in
> browsers for size=1, or should we require size>1?

I can't think of a way to make size=1 work, so requiring size>1 may be the
only option. It seems ugly, though.

- Dominic