Re: [whatwg] <input type=number> for year input

On 18/02/2014 23:09, Jonathan Watt wrote:
> When implementing <input type=number> for Mozilla I decided to display the value
> to the user using the grouping separator (generally the thousands separator) of
> the users locale. So, for example, if the input's value is 1234 and the user's
> locale is English, it is displayed to the user as "1,234".
>
> This is causing a problem for at least media wiki, because they use <input
> type=number> for year input. For example:
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=IRIX&action=history
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/newbies
>
> The question is, should I change Mozilla's implementation to stop displaying the
> internal value using grouping separators, or is it wrong to use <input
> type=number> for year input. I'm erring on the former, but I'd like to solicit
> others' thoughts on this matter.
>
> I should also note that I can still allow the implementation to accept input
> from the user that contains grouping separators, even if when the internal value
> is set/changed the visual result will be updated to a string that does not
> contain grouping separators.

I should also have noted that I did get some early feedback that failing to
include grouping separators in the general <input type=number> case would be
bad/suboptimal for certain locales, but I can't remember which locales those
were at this point. If anyone knows of such locales I'd be interested to hear which.