Re: [whatwg] alternate ids for elements

2014-12-03, 15:49, Julian Reschke wrote:

> I have a use case where a certain location in a document can have two
> anchors (or even more). For instance, in a spec, the author may have
> specified an anchor, but a section-number based anchor is required as well.

Can you elaborate on that? Why cannot you use the same id attribute
value in all references to an element?

> How about a new attribute "alt-ids" which would take a space-separated
> list of additional anchors?

What would be the use of such additional identifiers?

The only thing I can imagine right now is a situation where you have an
existing id attribute and references to it all around but now need to
refer from a context that imposes its own restrictions on the syntax.
Say, you have id="παράδειγμα" and you need to refer to the element using
a URL like http://example.com/foo.html#παράδειγμ" but cannot because
the URL needs to be used in an environment where Greek letters cannot be
used. But this sounds like a rather rare occasion.

Yucca