Re: [whatwg] HTML differences from HTML4 document updated

On Tue, 07 May 2013 16:37:21 +0200, Gordon P. Hemsley
<gphemsley@gmail.com> wrote:

> Simon,
>
> I think it would be good to consider the target audiences, of which
> there are probably many:
>
> You have the audience who is worried that HTML5 is some grand
> departure from the HTML 4.01 they (think they) know and love. For
> them, you'll want to describe what exactly has been removed and why,
> instilling the idea of a separation between semantic and
> presentational markup.
>
> Then you have the audience that is excited to see what they can do now
> with HTML5 that they couldn't do with HTML 4.01. For them, you'd list
> the new elements and attributes and such.
>
> Then you probably have some other incidentals such as things that were
> removed or changed just because they were never implemented or people
> never used them. These probably don't fall into either of the two
> categories above.
>
> But you also have another issue to consider: For this document, the
> difference between the W3C's concept of specification snapshots and
> WHATWG's concept of a living standard is not trivial. For the former,
> you can have snapshot documents detailing the differences between each
> snapshot specification; for the latter, you need a living document
> that is anchored by a fixed point at one end (HTML 4.01).
>
> This raises the question of the purpose of this document: Is it to
> simplify the transition from HTML 4.01 to HTML5+? Or is it to act as
> an HTML changelog from here on out? Because I think attempting to do
> both within a single document will become unwieldy as time goes on.

Thanks. I've tried to make it a bit more focused by having one document
that compares WHATWG HTML to HTML4 and a separate document that compares
W3C HTML5 to HTML4, dropped W3C HTML 5.1 (covered by
http://www.w3.org/html/landscape/ ) and dropped the Changes (covered by
http://platform.html5.org/history/ ).

https://github.com/whatwg/html-differences/commit/a34fa020d2e2c17bb84fe963dc3f8de2250c31c4
https://github.com/whatwg/html-differences/commit/06499f22bcfd5f72ac1e7b3f3f3e4863e2db9c0b