Re: [whatwg] hidden attribute useless with display: flex?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:12:19 -0700
To: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@whatwg.org>, David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com>
On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:32 AM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> It's too bad that display-box also has multiple uses--it doesn't only
> display or hide the content, it has a third "contents" mode.  That means
> the same problem would happen as soon as you set "display-box: contents" on
> something--it would override [hidden].  What we really need is a CSS
> property that only sets whether the element is visible or not and nothing
> else, like "visible: false".  That way, the only way [hidden] gets
> overridden is if you're actually setting the visibility style.

Mind bringing this up in www-style?  My thinking in that design is
that display-box controls whether an element generates boxes at all,
which seems consistent with including the 'contents' value.  But if it
seems useful to have a property dedicated to literally just hiding the
element, we can see about rejiggering things.

~TJ