Re: [whatwg] Media sink device selection on <audio>/<video>

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 07:28:45PM +0200, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> On 04/07/2014 06:20 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> >When I was first desigining the API for WebRTC (years ago, before it got
> >rather unceremoniously forked by the W3C), the security design I had come
> >up with was basically that the UA would show a panel of devices, and the
> >user would drag-and-drop them into the page to give the page access to
> >them. (Or equivalent UI, e.g. tapping on the relevant device icons to
> >activate them for the page.)
>
> This was considered, but rejected.
> The consensus opinion at WebRTC and MediaCapture seemed to be that
> the ability to let an app say "which of these 5 microphones do you
> want?" is more amenable to creating good apps than leaving this UI
> to the browser chrome.

If the app disregards or misunderstands the user's input, what keeps it
from using the wrong microphone?  How do I disconnect a microphone from
an app?  How do I know which microphones are connected to which apps?

Ian's proposal seems to offer this visibility and control to the user.

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung@pobox.com    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981