Re: [whatwg] HTML: A DOM attribute that returns the language of a node

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> In Gecko it's also implemented through CSS inheritance, but it's not
> exposed to Web content as a CSS property.  (Internally it's
> '-x-lang', but that name isn't exposed.)
>
> We use the language for:
>  * font selection
>  * language-specific text-transform behavior
>  * hyphenation (which doesn't work unless it's explicitly specified,
>    as required by http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-text/#hyphens-property )

It seems my earlier point about inheritance of text direction remains.
Base URLs however are obsolete as only Gecko implements xml:base.

If this is implemented through CSS, does it make sense to expose it
through the DOM?

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/