Re: [whatwg] Outline style to use for drawSystemFocusRing

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry
> for some reason this message didn't make it to my inbox
>

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM, Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Where does it say in the spec that if you have assistive technology
>>> enabled, focus rings should not be drawn?
>>>

>> if as a web author I call drawCustomFocusRing and it returns false, I'm
>> not supposed to draw anything according to the spec. That's what doesn't
>> make sense to me.
>>

> Why not?
> It means that either the element was not focused or the user selected high
> contrast focus rings.
>
> The return value of true means that you as an author can draw the focus
> ring in any style.
>

>> It would take an element in fallback content as an argument. That would
>>>>

>>> As Ian pointed out, the accessibility software could do that.
>>>

>> scrollPathIntoView can't be used to notify accessibility software of the
>> focused object location as-is because it doesn't have an element to fire
>> on, and it doesn't know if the scrolling is because of focus or not.
>>
>> If we added a canvas fallback element as a parameter to
>> scrollPathIntoView, I don't think we'd need drawCustomFocusRing.
>>

> I don't understand. If the path that is active during
>  drawCustom/SystemFocusRing is off screen and the element is focused, the
> browser will scroll to that area.

I just tried this with canary and your demo file, and it is not scrolling
to the focus ring. Is this what you are asking for?
If so, I agree that we should update the spec. There is not much point that
you can tab into fallback content but the browser doesn't scroll to the
path.