Re: [whatwg] onclose events for MessagePort

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 10/1/13 12:58 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > If the browser crashes, it's not going to be able to send messages
> > anyway
>
> This concept of "the browser"...
>
> The situation being considered here is that you have two web pages in
> two different OS-level processes that have a MessageChannel between
> them.  One of the OS-level processes crashes (and hence obviously can't
> send any more messages, as you note).  The other one would like to know
> that its counterparty is gone.  How should it find out?  That's the
> problem I think Ehsan is trying to solve.

Crashing is non-conforming. Having features explicitly to handle the
non-conforming case is a bit weird. :-)

How often are we really expecting one tab to be talking to another tab,
and then that tab crashes, and the author was able to prepare code to
handle that gracefully, in a production environment?