Re: [whatwg] The src-N proposal

Am 20.11.2013 06:24 schrieb Bruno Racineux:
> On 11/19/13 12:12 PM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013, Markus Ernst wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't recall the reasons why Florian's proposal of combining
>>> <picture>
>>> and @srcset fell out of the discussion. To me it still looks like the
>>> most useable draft so far.
>>
>> I responsed to proposals along those lines last year:
>>

>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2012Aug/0070.htm
>>
>> Search for "multi-element" for the specific response to proposals that
>> involve multiple elements.
>
> There are other concerns against any non-centralized approaches like
> <picture>.

[...]

> Any author used to the flexibility of css shouldn't have the burden to
> deal with hard-coded unalterable stuff like that. It's as bad as an inline
> css-style to deal with.

I do totally agree with you. AFAICS, all proposals with a significant
amount of support (picture, srcset, src-N) share this problem. I don't
have the impression that adding centralization has much support right
now. Anyway, once there is a consent about the respImg syntax, it may be
easier to propose a centralisation mechanism at the CSS side, e.g. some
variable or constant useable in the MQ.