Re: [whatwg] [mimesniff] Complete MIME type parsing algorithm for section 5

From: Gordon P. Hemsley <gphemsley@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 13:26:03 -0400
To: Peter Occil <poccil14@gmail.com>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Peter Occil <poccil14@gmail.com> wrote:
> My algorithm skips only SPACE and TAB instead of all whitespace characters
> because it assumes that the field value was already extracted from
> Content-Type according to the HTTP/HTTPbis spec (0x0C, form feed, is never
> considered whitespace in HTTP headers). In particular, it assumes that
> folding whitespace (obs-fold) was replaced with spaces (or the message with
> obs-fold rejected) before the Content-Type value was interpreted.

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

It'll take me a little while to evaluate what you've proposed here,
but in the meantime: Keep in mind that the Content-Type header is not
the only source for a MIME type. This algorithm needs to consider MIME
types from all possible sources.

--
Gordon P. Hemsley
me@gphemsley.org