Re: [whatwg] Question about document.referrer (and document.URL, document.location.href) when IDN domains are in use

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 14:33:55 -0400
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@whatwg.org>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
 >
> My ongoing assumption has been that we want to serialize to punycode
> always in the API

Hmm.  That _does_ suck if you want to show location stuff to the user,
though.... (though a proposed ACE-to-Unicode API would somewhat help, if
you remember to use it).

> as the Unicode form is very much a UI decision and
> we do not want to leak that detail to web developers.

You mean the decision as to when exactly to use the Unicode and when to
use ACE?  In what way is it a UI decision (apart from browser URL bars
having anti-phishing logic that falls back to ACE when they detect
"weird" chars in the URI)?

> (We do at some
> point want to expose an API to convert one to the other, irrespective
> of UI considerations.)

Agreed, but that doesn't help answer the question of what authors should
get in the DOM.

Or put another way, it seems like we should be trying to use IRIs until
we can't for some reason, and I see no a priori reason that
location.href can't be an IRI...

-Boris