Re: [whatwg] Priority between <a download> and content-disposition

From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf@coredump.cx>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:15:13 -0700
To: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
> This is about how the Web works, not browser UIs.  If I click a link on
> www.computerviruses.com, and it prompts me to save a file to disk, I make my
> decision of what to do with the file based on the context of the link I
> clicked.

In my experience, the web is a lot more complicated than that. There
are many interesting corner cases here, including but not limited to
downloads initiated by other documents / windows (say,
http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/fldl/).

With content sniffing, we have learned the hard way that
second-guessing the intent of the owner of a server in terms of the
way the content should be interpreted by the browser will almost
always bite back. I think we're making the same mistake here (and in
several other areas, too).

/mz