[whatwg] Media queries for multichannel audio ?

From: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 00:18:48 +0000
To: whatwg <whatwg@whatwg.org>
Is there anything like this ?

I'd like a media element to be able to select the multi-channel version of some audio only when the device will output multiple channels and select a stereo version otherwise (rather than downmixing). This would save network bandwidth as well as providing better quality (if the custom-mixed stereo audio is likely better than the end-device down-mixed version). Seems like this would be handled in the resource selection algorithm by checking if the media attribute of the <source> "matches the environment", but I can't find how to specific audio characteristics in a media query.

ůMark