Re: [whatwg] Priority between <a download> and content-disposition

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 09:57:33 -0500
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 6:46 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>wrote:

> 1) Content-Disposition: inline
>> 2) Content-Disposition: inline; filename="B.txt"
>> 3) Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="B.txt"
>> People generally seem to have a harder time with getting header data
>> right, than getting markup right, and so I think that in all cases we
>> should display the "save as" dialog (or display equivalent download
>> UI) and suggest the filename "A.txt".
> I agree that people have problems getting headers right, but in all the
> cases above, it seems they have set the header on purpose, no?
> My recollection was that a/@download was mainly added for cases where the
> header field couldn't be set at all...

When I use #2, I'm just setting the filename.  "inline" is only there
because it has to be; there's no way of saying "Content-Disposition: don't
care; filename=foo".  "inline" is the default.

I think @download should be able to force a download regardless of whether
a C-D header exists: treat the default C-D as "inline", and don't change
behavior just because a header states the default.

I don't know if it should be able to override a C-D filename parameter.  I
can't think of any case where this is useful, so if it helps get this
feature available cross-origin then that's fine.  (Half of the point of
this feature is to allow adjusting filenames on external content servers
which you don't have much control over.)

Glenn Maynard