Re: [whatwg] Mutation Observer arguments format

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:58:06 -0700
To: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Adam Klein <adamk@google.com>, "Olli@pettay.fi" <olli@pettay.fi>, Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@google.com>, Jonas Sicking <sicking@mozilla.com>

On Mar 14, 2013, at 12:49 PM, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com> wrote:

> The old API is confusing. We can do better, so we should.

I actually find the proposed syntax more confusing than the old syntax.

For starters, I don't want to remember which options were types and which are not since a mutation observer that observes attributes but doesn't observe attribute old data is a different "type" of a mutation observer than the one that does observe old data.

So while I understand some people may find the new syntax more appealing and easy to understand, I don't think it's a significant improvement over the old syntax that justifies the cost of changing the syntax at this point especially because it appears to be backward incompatible.

I think most of us are open to new syntax if it's significantly better than the current syntax and is backward compatible.

- R. Niwa