Re: [whatwg] We should not throw DOM Consistency and Infoset compatibility under the bus

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 18:48:35 +0100
To: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>
On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 09:40:56 +0100, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> Would it be terrible to make attempts to mutate the 'is' attribute
> throw thereby teaching authors who actually try to mutate it that it's
> not mutable?

We already have several attributes that are immutable but don't throw or
anything when they're changed.

e.g. <script src>, <html manifest>.

In the case of manifest, we omitted the IDL attribute to signal that it
shouldn't be changed.

As another example, <input type> was immutable in old IE and that made
people think of it as immutable.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software