Re: [whatwg] Adding 2D Canvas features (Was: Grouping in canvas 2d)

Has the Canvas 2D community considered a WebGL-like model to the
introduction of additional features?

By "the WebGL model", I mean:
- Define a core feature set that's conservative and limited, but
consistently implemented by all browsers. Enforce consistent support for it
by an exhaustive conformance test suite.
- Let any additional feature be an "extension". Using the feature requires
first explicitly calling context.getExtension("featurename"); . This helps
ensuring that Web pages don't accidentally rely on that feature, and
instead, make a conscious portability-vs-features trade-off.
- Consider, similar to WebGL, further tightening this process by letting
any new feature start at "draft" status and wait a bit before being
"approved".  Typically, the difference that this makes is that "draft"
extensions would be exposed by browsers only "behind  a flag" (a browser
option that's not enabled by default). Prerequisites for "approval" would
include: having been implemented and stable for some time, and being
covered by a conformance test.

If there is any doubt that such a model can be useful in practice, WebGL
has been very successful so far at combining fast feature iteration with
tight cross-browser compatibility, using a similar model.

See this document:
  http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/extensions/
.,. except it needs updating to reflect the recent move away from vendor
prefixes to flags, by some major browsers.

Benoit