Re: [whatwg] Reconsidering how we deal with text track cues

From: Brendan Long <self@brendanlong.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:25:23 -0600
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On 06/11/2013 11:11 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> I suggest we rename WebVTTCue [1] to VTTCaptionCue and allow such cues
> only on tracks of kind={caption, subtitle}.

Why VTTCaptionCue and not just HTMLCue? It seems like any cue that can
be rendered needs to be able to provide its content as HTML, and once we
have that, the browser shouldn't care where we got that HTML from.

Do we expect browsers to have special rendering rules for every caption
format? It seems like the most likely result would be that the browser
vendors just don't bother implementing anything besides WebVTT.