Re: [whatwg] Request: Implementing a Geo Location URI Scheme

From: Rodrigo Polo <rodrigo.polo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:25:01 -0600
To: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>, Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
I really don't want to fight over any issue, I, as a user, want to share
with you the current state on this topic and (as I said on the letter) with
"a friendly open letter in the pursuit to make a polite request to make the
life of millions easier" give you some of the reasons why I think it should
be implemented ASAP.

I already checked this proposed specs:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5870
http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes/uri-schemes.xml
http://www.w3.org/wiki/UriSchemes

But my experience waiting for many browsers implementations tell me the
process is slow and it looks like it works by the interest of each brand, I
really feel sorry for the "Web SQL Database" spec that was later removed, I
really hope the "geo" URI scheme could be implemented.

I know the "registerProtocolHandler" but it doesn't work exactly as
proposed, "geo" "protocol" isn't accepted on Chrome, only "protocols" with
the "web-" prefix and the URL parameter have to match the webpage that make
the request, it is designed for websites, not for local apps, all this
conclusions made by the tests I have done with the latest beta of Chrome
and FireFox:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/navigator.registerProtocolHandler
http://updates.html5rocks.com/2012/02/Getting-Gmail-to-handle-all-mailto-links-with-registerProtocolHandler

Again, thanks for your attention and help.

--
Rodrigo J. Polo
www.rodrigopolo.com